Wednesday, October 6, 2010

AUTOBIOGRAPHY : FIRST ROUND XXVII

So ,ow I was , by my social standard & the standard of 1949 -Cal cutta , a bright boy; 17-18 yrs of age, and a student of Medical College Calcutta . The front- face pillars of the College building matched,even, the Governors House and I was feeling different with some inflated ego. For the last one year, after I made my promise to improve , I joined physical training in UNIVERSITY INSTITUTE of College Square area, under Monotosh Roy and I was no more that sick & thin boy but a better built standard sized ( ISI )youth . I was openly elated to feel that now I could meet rich and smart Class of Cacutta in my college . All along, before, I never wore a 'English-cut' full pants and was dreaming for my first smart dress. But the dampening effect came when my father took me to a tailor and got me in a pair of khaki-pants ( police type, -of those days). . Any one can well imagine the expression on my face, in that out-fit! I would steal my entry in the class after all the boys and girls were in.. Soon ,in three -four months , I managed to keep up my face and then, the Professor of Anatomy , forced me to believe in mysef by the brilliance of his lecture , so much that neither dress nor length of Degree at the end of a name was important in real- life-story. And he was only M,B,(of his days). The way he taught and lectured, mesmarised me by magic power of his teaching and simaltaneously drew pictures on the huge board with myriad of coloured chalks-pencils magnetised and inspired me so much that I forgot that I was wearing a Khaki- pant and it did not matter if the girls were smiling or whispering discussing my dress. I cared not and tried to draw picture on my note-book copying his drawings and afterwards . Soon the Cartoon-wa paper came out on the wall of the Students Union Office and made me popular and known to all and because of him.
That is that, - with that start and I , the shy boy with my inferiority complex amongst so many smart boys and girls of Medical college , kept up my faith in myself . Then, my cartoon Weekly -the PIBIS weekly - came up on the wall of the college with cartoon- pictures depicting College events and soon every one noticed me with appreciation and even the smart girls . Then onwards my name was PIBI and I won the first round by the begining of the second year in Medical College , Calcutta of 1950.

No comments:

Post a Comment